08 March, 2008

Requiem for a Beloved Pet



Introducing miss Kali-Ma, named after the Hindu goddess of life, death, change, and transformation. Last Sunday night, we said goodbye to her after 13 really good years. The vet suspected that some blockages in her intestines were cancerous and thought we'd only have about 6 more months with her if we'd put her through surgery. Sadly, we thought it better all around if she fell quietly to sleep than went through that. I will miss her terribly.

I love this picture. It's taken under the kitchen table. She used to sit with us when we ate. Her little ears would pop up over the table, and if we said "hello Kali", she'd poke her whole head up. We have three cats, but as Aaron very astutely pointed out "we had a different relationship with Kali than we do with the other cats." He was right on with that comment. Kali, unlike the other two, was very people-centered. She always followed us around to the rooms we were in and would purr just being near us - no petting required :) She greeted us at the door when we came home. She easily let us hold her and came when she was called. I remember many-a weekend day when I'd say "who wants to take a nap?" and Kali was the only one to join me. She always did. I made that poor cat move 8 or 9 times, even once putting her on a plane in cargo to move from Chicago to San Francisco. She was always a good sport, and as long as we were at the new destination, she adapted quickly.

So, I've lost a little bit of comfort in my life. I'm adjusting my mental map of the world slowly - a map without my little orange tabby following me around, being at the foot of the bed when I can't sleep, stupendously yapping away to get someone's attention. Things are a little quieter, a tiny bit lonelier, and tinged with a bit of sadness. Thank you to Aaron, Hobbes & Kim (the other two cats), friends and family for your sweet words. In the greater scheme of things, the loss of a cat seems trivial, but it's an adjustment none-the-less, so thanks for helping me make it. Love, loop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wandered over from Plushlife.
You'll know you've lived a good life when you get to the 'other' side and all you pets are there waiting for you.
Keep yer chin up.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a chance yet to send Anne and my condolences. Kali will be missed.

"O Kali, my Mother full of Bliss! Enchantress of the almighty Shiva!
In Thy delirious joy Thou dancest, clapping Thy hands together!
Thou art the Mover of all that move, and we are but Thy helpless toys."

-Ramakrishna Paramhans