13 March, 2008

Hungry?

I pulled up to the cookie-cutter strip mall to buy some crap I thought I needed to make my life complete.  There was a man sitting on the sidewalk with a "Please Help"  cardboard sign right in front of the car.  It was getting cold outside.  He looked miserable, and I couldn't help but think of how it must feel to be in that situation.

I hate giving away money.  Don't mind spending it.  Just hate giving it away.

As I exited the store, I asked the guy if he wanted some dinner.  He said, "Sure!"  So I motioned to the door of the Popeye's Chicken and we both stood in line together.  As we waited, I made some small talk.  He had been sitting there for a few minutes when I had pulled up.  The weather had been pretty nice lately...etc...etc.  

I ordered what he wanted, paid the cashier, and wished him good luck.  I waited in the car for a minute to make sure the staff gave him his food and drink, and to make sure they didn't chase him out the door as soon as I walked out.

Sometimes, people need to step up and lend a hand.  Sometimes, I need to get off my ass and help someone who needs a little.  Sometimes, people need to take a writing course to create a more interesting narrative.

Oh, well.  What am I getting at?  Make that difference today.  Be that ray of sunshine that bursts through.  Even if you have to actively tell yourself to be a happier person, do it today.  The worst that can happen is you become that happier person and the people in white coats haul you off to the funny farm.  Would that be soooo bad?

No comments: